School History

  East Leesville Elementary School was erected adjacent to the Vernon Parish School Board Office in 1953. Mr. Lyons Palmer served as principal for the students in grades one through eight. In 1956, C. A. Hughes was named principal as Mr. Palmer transferred across town to provide leadership to the newly designed West Leesville Elementary.

Mr. Ted Paris' service as principal began in 1967 as East Leesville Elementary became a 1st through 6th grade center. Mr. Joe Westerchil followed in 1970 with Mr. Paris returning in 1979-1988 as East Leesville Elementary became a Kindergarten through 4th grade setting. In 1984 a library was constructed on campus and in 1986 a kindergarten wing was built to house the growing number of students.

Mrs. Faye Ellis, East Leesville's first assistant principal, was named principal in 1988. Mrs. Anne Smith later served as principal from 1995-1997. Mrs. Debbie Clark was appointed from 1997 to 2009. Our current principal, Mrs. Ramona Bennett  has lead our team since beginning of the 2009 school year.
East Leesville Elementary School restructured with West Leesville Elementary School in 2001. Our primary center currently serves 500 plus Kindergarten through 2nd grade students. West Leesville Elementary now serves our third and fourth grade students. A multipurpose building housing assemblies/ programs and physical education classes was added in 2004 as our primary center continues to grow.

In 2005 East Leesville Elementary restruced again with West Leesville Elementary. Our primary center now serves over 500 LA4/PreK, Head Start, Kindergarten, and 1st  grade students. West Leesville Elementary now serves second grade, third and fourth grade students. The Vernon Parish School System is working hard everyday to meet the needs of our children in Vernon Parish.